By: Moses Magero
Listen to this Article



MTN Omondi Stadium, Lugogo

KCCA FC were 3-2 winners over URA FC in a mouth-watering encounter at the MTN Omondi Stadium, Lugogo.

The five-game thriller truly lived up to its billing, as fans were entertained to a pulsating fixture under the lights.

KCCA FC skipper Fillbert Obenchan was the first into the referee’s books for a foul on URA skipper Ssekajjugo in the second minute of the game.

The resultant set piece saw the visitors draw first blood courtesy of Norman Namanya’s glancing header that was directed into the goal in the 3rd minute of the game.

Four minutes later, KCCA FC academy graduate and now URA’s midfielder John Kisolo was cautioned for a late challenge on Ashraf Mugume.

At the half-hour mark, Gui set up Etienne Katenga, who the second assistant referee had flagged offside as he was going through on goal.

Two minutes later, Abu laid a beautiful ball in Katenga’s path, but the latter’s effort went straight to URA’s goalkeeper, Rogers Omedwa.

KCCA FC’s gaffer, Abdallah Mubiru, then made his first change, withdrawing Abubaker Mayanja and introducing Shaban Muhammad in the 37th minute.

Two minutes to the halftime interval, another KCCA FC graduate now at URA, James Begisa was cautioned for time-wasting.

1-0 at the break.

After recess, Bruno Adilson and Saidi Mayanja replaced captain Fillbert Obenchan and Gui Cungulo.

Bruno Adilson Mfulu

Obenchan’s withdrawal meant Herbert Achayi who is the club’s third assistant captain, would take over the captaincy.

Four minutes into the second half, Achayi nodded home the leveler off a ball that brushed off Shaban’s head and into the path of the left back.

The visitors doubled their lead courtesy of their skipper, Vianne Ssekajugo who tapped home from close quarters in the 58th minute.

Ssekajugo seemed ahead of the last KCCA FC defender at the time when the ball left the player who played the final pass to him, but the goal stood.

Peter Magambo replaced Ashraf Mugume in the 64th minute.

10 minutes after his goal, Ssekajugo who had restored the visitors lead, found himself in unfamiliar territory when he glanced a long ball from Katenga past his goalkeeper to level the game two-all.

In the 72nd minute, Bruno’s long ball into the box was chested down by James Begisa to goalkeeper Omedwa but an onrushing Shaban pounced and tapped home just before the goalkeeper would make contact with the ball.

3-2 KCCA FC, and the hosts were leading for the first time in the game.

Shaban was stretchered off, injured from the goal incident, and was replaced by Hassan Mubiru.

Musitafa Mujuzi was cautioned for a foul on URA’s Ssemuju, who was through on goal. The resultant freekick was blocked by Magambo and the eventual corner kick was dealt with by goalkeeper Derrick Ochan.

Hassan Mubiru had the chance to stretch KCCA’s lead when Usama played a beautiful ball in his path, but the youngster’s effort went straight to URA’s custodian, Omedwa, in the final minute of the game.

3-2 the final score.

KCCA FC picking up its fourth win in as many games for the first time this term.

KCCA FC visit Wakiso Giants FC on Saturday, January 6th, in the final game of the first round.

Shaban Muhammad | Man of the match #KCCAURA

Line Ups


Ochan (GK), Obenchan (Bruno), Mujuzi, Atube, Achai, Sserunjogi, Mugume (Magambo), Gui (Saidi), Usama, Abu (Shaban, Mubiru), Katenga


Omedwa (GK), Walusimbi, Begisa, Ssenjobe, Kisolo, Ssekibengo, Wamannah, Timbita, Namanya, Bunyaga and Ssekajugo

About the Author